What's REALLY cooking?
  Chicken Enchiladas
I used a recipe for chicken enchiladas from a book about the famous Tucson mexican restaurant El Charro. I used enchilada sauce from a jar, against Carlotta's advice, but I didn't have the time (or chiles) to make sauce from scratch. It was really simple, and got many compliments from my wife. I think it was her favorite dish yet. My daughter even ate some, despite her distaste for anything with spices or flavor! She does like the beans and rice however. The photo shows the "adult" version, with cheese, sour cream, and avocado. The allergy-friendly version omits these items. It was fairly simple to make, but looks impressive, and it was bursting with flavor. They're only as good as the enchilada sauce, but even most of the jarred stuff tastes pretty good. The trick is to find a jarred sauce that is allergy-friendly (sometimes tough when avoiding soy protein). The rice is the lipton brand spanish rice (allergy friendly for our allergens) and Old El Paso refried beans. These enchiladas can be filled with anything (shrimp, beef, veggies, etc.) if you're bored with chicken.


1 lb chicken breast
12 corn tortillas
1 C canola oil
30 oz. enchilada sauce
1 lb. shredded cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
1 avocado (optional)
small can of olives (optional)

Boil chicken for 20 minutes, then shred and place underneath damp paper towel.

Heat oil to medium in a shallow frying pan. Dip each tortilla briefly in the oil, place on waxed paper, fill (loosely) with shredded chicken, roll, and place seam down in a casserole dish.

When the dish is full, smother in enchilada sauce, sprinkle on olives (optional), then blanket in cheese (optional).

Bake at 350 deg. F until bubbly (about 10 minutes) and garnish with sliced avocado and sour cream (optional).
 
Comments:
Hey, I made these tonight and they were great! We had some leftover refried beans, with corn mixed in, so I mixed that with the chicken for a juicier filling. Yum.

I am grateful for the tip on boiling chicken, it's a much healthier way to cook it than we've been doing (sauteeing).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Our children are allergic to nuts, eggs, milk, soy, peas, lentils, strawberries, sesame, kiwis, cherries, and chick peas. After cooking the same few dinners over and over, we got fed up and needed a change. I’ve decided to really learn to cook, and to share what I learn here. As I find recipes and adapt them to our allergy situation, I’ll share what works (and what doesn’t). If you have food allergic children and need ideas for new things to feed them, or just want some simple new recipes to try, I think you’ll find some here.

Please remember to check all product ingredient listings carefully when avoiding allergens.

You can contact me at patrick.dylan [at] gmail [dot] com.