What's REALLY cooking?
  Mexicali skillet
Today I borrowed a recipe for a one-pot skillet dish with ground meat and rice. I thought it sounded easy and similar to other things we've made before. I added olives (even though I hate them, everyone else likes them, so I just eat around them), chopped onion, and minced garlic, and I substituted ground chicken for ground beef. Those changes turned out fine, but there must have been a typo in the amount of rice that was called for, because 3 cups almost overflowed my skillet, took twice as much water as was called for, and made the entire dish a little bland. If I did this one again I would certainly cut the rice in half to 1.5 cups. I took care of the blandness by adding Cholula and a layer of cheese (when possible). Overall it was OK, but it needs some tweaking to be really good. The ingredient amounts below are how much I actually wound up putting in.


1 lb ground chicken
1 15 oz. can of corn
1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
3 cups white rice
3 C water
salt
pepper
chili powder
2 t minced garlic
1/2 chopped onion
2 T oil
1 small can of olives

Heat oil and grill chopped onion & garlic seasoned with salt, pepper, & chili powder.

Add chicken and brown it, breaking it into small pieces.

Add remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste, and simmer until rice is fully done.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Our children are allergic to nuts, eggs, milk, soy, peas, lentils, strawberries, sesame, kiwis, cherries, and chick peas. After cooking the same few dinners over and over, we got fed up and needed a change. I’ve decided to really learn to cook, and to share what I learn here. As I find recipes and adapt them to our allergy situation, I’ll share what works (and what doesn’t). If you have food allergic children and need ideas for new things to feed them, or just want some simple new recipes to try, I think you’ll find some here.

Please remember to check all product ingredient listings carefully when avoiding allergens.

You can contact me at patrick.dylan [at] gmail [dot] com.